Friday, September 11, 2009

Lack of Eyebrows

Problem: My eyebrows are very thin and go from the inner corner of my eye to maybe ¾ the length of my eye (right where they should be arching). I draw in the rest with a brow powder, but if I sweat or sleep, the half of the eyebrow that I've drawn in disappears. I've thought about tattooing them. Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Solution: There are two potential solutions to your dilemma, and thankfully neither involves committing to a tattoo! The first option would be to continue to use the brow powder you like, but setting it with a brow sealant after the product has dried. These sealants are primarily alcohol with some potent film-forming agents, and they tend to be water- and smudge-resistant. Try BeneFit's She-Laq ($24) or, better yet, a clear brow gel such as those from Cover Girl or Max Factor.

Another option is to use a matte finish, waterproof brow or eye pencil to draw on the sparse portion of your natural brow. Although I am not a fan of brow pencils, there are some great ones out there that show a marked improvement over traditional hard or greasy brow pencils, though the best of these are rather expensive. Try M.A.C.'s Eye Brow Pencil ($12.50), Christian Dior's Powder Eyebrow Pencil ($21), or Lancome's Le Crayon Poudre for the Brows ($19.50). You may find that using the pencil and painting over the line with a dab of brow sealant is your best bet for worry-free wear. Nevertheless, do keep in mind that it's unrealistic to expect makeup to stay perfect if you happen to fall asleep!

I am leery of makeup tattooing, but when you have no eyebrows hair at all, it is not an option to dismiss outright. Though I have seen some really bad makeup tattooing (cosmetic surgeons make a lot of money removing those mistakes), I have also seen some great successes. With some careful shopping and interviewing you may find a talented technician who could work slowly and artistically and give you the results you are hoping to see every morning when you wake up and look in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for comments.